Nothing completes a look and adds glamour like jewelry. Pearl jewelry is considered essential for both bride and bridesmaids because they symbolize love, purity and are believed to bring happiness and prosperity to marriage. It is something you will continue to love and enjoy for years to come.
Pearl jewelry is versatile. You can always find one suiting the style of your dress by following the neckline of your gown with the shape of your necklace. A correctly chosen pearl jewelry should harmonize the entire wedding attire and enhance your natural beauty. This article will show you how to choose the right pearl necklace for your wedding gown.
1. Strapless Dress
Strapless neckline includes Off the Shoulder, Sweetheart, and Portrait. It highlights shoulder and neck region. The right pearl wedding jewelry helps compliment the top line of the dress and draws attention to you. Many necklace styles will work with the strapless dress:
- Pearl choker & pearl princess
Pearl choker is 14-16 inches long and rests at the collarbone. Pearl princess is 17-19 inches long. Both pearl choker and pearl princess bring a symmetrical and parallel line to match the dress neckline.
- Multi-strand necklaces are also a great choice for the strapless wedding gown as long as you keep the necklace length at least one inch above the dress' neckline so as to look uncrowded.
- Y-drop necklace or pendant necklace works especially well for sweetheart neckline as it follows the top line of the wedding gown and brings focus to the bride. It also works for other strapless dresses.
Jewel style dress has a high round neckline at the base of the neck. For this type of gown, choose short necklaces that fit close to your throat. Top Choices are:
- Pearl collar. Pearl collar is 12 to 13 inches long, usually made up of three or more strands. It lies snugly on the middle of the neck, luxurious and eye-catching.
- Pearl choker
A dress with a halter top neckline features straps that wrap around the back of the neck, creating an upside down V. Different halter top dresses call for different jewelry choices.
- If halter top rises close to your throat, go without necklace. Any necklace will crowd the overall look; usefabulous dangly earrings, and glamorous bracelets to touch up instead.
- If the halter is low and wide, consider the following suggestions: pendant necklace, Y-drop necklace or front tied lariat.
Bateau has wide, high, and relatively straight neckline. It sweeps across collarbone to the edge of the shoulders. This classic dress style calls for a simple necklace worn close to the throat. Both pearl collar and pearl choker will fit this dress style well.
5. One Shoulder Dress or Asymmetric Dress
The one shoulder dress is a bold style. A necklace generally is not a good idea. Because the necklace's symmetric lines may clash with the dress' asymmetric neckline, looking unbalanced and unnatural. Of course, this doesn't mean that you can't wear other beautiful accessories. You can really sparkle with a pair of earrings and a bracelet!
The square neckline has a straight horizontal bodice that meets with straps in a 90-degree angle. This neckline calls for a simple, single strand or double strand necklaces to soften the lines. The most popular choices are pearl choker and pearl princess.
When wearing a V-neck dress, choose a necklace that imitates the lines of the dress:
- Y-drop necklaces. The Y-drop necklace takes the same angles as the v neck dress line.
- Chokers. The choker gives a clean line and does not distract from the v neck dress style.
Scoop necked gown is a versatile neckline and the most necklace style will frame out the top of this gown perfectly. Top Choices are pearl choker, pearl princess, and multi-strand pearl necklace.
About the Author
Mindy Pearl is the advisor of pearl-gift-ideas.com providing a wealth of information about pearl and pearl jewelry, as well as tips on how to choose the right pearls, etc. This site will help you and your loved ones derive more ideas and enjoyments from pearl gifts.