ORLANDO, Fla. (April 16, 2012) - Believe It or Not! creator Robert Ripley has been inducted into the Sideshow Hall of Fame, at Coney Island USA! Ninety-four years after he drew his first Believe It or Not! cartoon and 79 years after he opened his first Odditorium at the Chicago World’s Fair, Ripley officially joins the esteemed lineup of history’s greatest showmen! Tim was there and he reports on how it all went down!
An exhibit featuring the secretive Area 51 has just opened at the National Atomic Testing Museum in Las Vegas. Ripley’s UFO expert Lee Speigel tells us the the irony that the museum, part of the federally funded Smithsonian Museum group, would feature something that the Federal Government itself has claimed doesn’t exist, wasn’t lost on him. Otherwise, it’s a well done, expansive and educational exhibit, he notes.
Additional Unusual, Weird, Wild and Wacky Things Discussed this Week:
- Igor Vovkovinskiy, America’s tallest living man is in a bind. His shoes are uncomfortable and a set of new, custom fitted ones will cost in excess of $16,000, a sum he doesn’t have.
- Angela reports that the sport of Quiddich now exists outside of a Harry Potter film! More than 100 teams gather each year in New York City to compete in the “World Cup” of this bizarre game.
- You’ll hear what an amazing grandmother did on her 101st birthday – just to show up her 75 year old son!
- A unique act in this year’s Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus’s production of “Dragons,” is an amazing duo called the Hair Hanging Wonders. As the name implies, they hang from their tresses as they perform aerial maneuvers! Marc Hartzman visited with them and reports back to Ripley Radio that they are very careful of what hair products they use!
- Ripley’s Edward Meyer announces that the new exhibit on dinosaurs has just opened at the Ripley’s Aquarium in Myrtle Beach, complete with robotic beasts and one-of-a-kind dinosaur artifacts.
- In the Weird Medical Maladies Minute, Jodi Pliszka, Ripley’s very own Solutionologist, discusses a disorder that prevents a person from ever smiling!
- Ralf talks with the director of the Pima Air & Space Museum about their attempt to fly the largest paper airplane ever flown!
- AND to close out the show we hear Funky Bahia, from the new album by Sergio Mendes, featuring Will.I.Am and Siedah Garrett.
Ripley Radio is a journey through the weird, wacky, whimsical, wild, and totally unbelievable world of the odd, strange and unusual. Each show provides listeners with amazing and absolutely true tales of today, as well as unbelievable facts culled from the extensive archives of the company that has been freaking out families for more than 90 years!
The weekly broadcast is an unpredictable and fun-filled show that proves beyond all dimensions that Ripley’s is indeed, the global authority on the weird, strange, bizarre and the UNBELIEVABLE!
For detailed information on each show, the hosts and a look at the extensive archives, please visit the Ripley Radio website. Ripley Radio – An On-Demand Oddcast is also on Facebook. Drop by and “Like” us!
A new show is available every Monday morning on www.ripleyoddcast.com; www.webtalkradio.net; and www.cyberstationusa.com.
To listen on a mobile device, download the free app at www.stitcher.com
Ripley Radio is owned by Ripley Entertainment Inc., keepers of the venerable Ripley’s Believe It or Not! brand and is a global leader in location-based entertainment. More than 12 million guests visit its 80-plus world-wide attractions annually. The Orlando-based company also has divisions that oversee publishing, licensing and broadcast operations. Ripley Entertainment is a Jim Pattison Company, the third-largest privately held company in Canada.
Ripley Radio Executive Producer
Ripley Entertainment Inc.
Office – 615-646-7465
Cell – 615-496-5949